Our ethos is to create healthier decadent treats, and our mission is to do this with natural ingredients. We’re passionate about MiiRO being refined sugar free, so let’s break down the importance of this for you and why you should ditch the refined stuff.
A typical ice cream contains either refined sugar (which comes from sugar canes that need to be heavily processed to extract the sugar) or more often a high-fructose corn syrup which is a chemically produced sugar. Both have no nutritional value and are instead just empty calories.
When a product is “refined sugar free” however, this means that only natural sugars have been used. Unlike the chemically produced and sugar cane versions described above, this natural alternative uses fruits as its source of sweetness. Foods with natural sugar play an important role in our diets as they provide essential nutrients that keep the body healthy and prevent disease.
The Difference on the Body
Refined sugar is rapidly broken down when consumed. This has a negative effect on the body as it causes blood sugar levels to artificially skyrocket. When this process occurs your pancreas kicks into gear and releases insulin in an attempt to balance out your blood sugar levels. This inevitably leads to the dreaded sugar crash, whereby your momentary boost is replaced by a more lasting slump. To top it off, refined sugar is broken down and digested so quickly that the body does not feel full or satisfied.
We use coconut sugar and Italian grapes to sweeten our ice cream naturally. Coconut sugar and grapes have a lower glycemic index (GI of 54 and 53 respectively), compared to refined cane sugar (GI of 60). Food with low GI values are digested and metabolised at a slower rate, prompting smaller fluctuations in blood glucose and insulin levels. Coconuts and grapes both also contain nutrients, unlike refined sugar, such as minerals and antioxidants.
It is important to not let sugar become the enemy. No one nutrient is the devil, it is all about high quality sources and balance. When in doubt, look no further than nature’s treats; like juicy fruits and heavenly nut butters which are all naturally sweet.
If you’re tuned into the wellness movement then you’ll be aware that we are all being prescribed 10 minutes of daily meditation, to help combat the stressors of daily life. To keep us sane we may start our day with coffee and end it with ice cream but taking just 10 minutes out will truly transform your day. We understand that not everyone always has a MiiRO ice cream handy at all times to soothe your soul, so we looked into a solution that would always be available to you. Here at the office we’ve started incorporating this into our day by pausing before lunch, and we’ve already noticed benefits.
You may have reserved meditation for only those who burn incense, or maybe you’ve already dabbled with the Headspace app but it hasn’t quite stuck, or perhaps you’ve kept meditation in your periphery and you’re open to the idea of trying something new. Either way, be kind to yourself and try adding meditation to your daily routine. It requires zero specialist equipment or space and it’s free. Ice cream may be cheaper than therapy, but meditation is cheaper still.
If you’re not sure meditation is for you or need a recap, here’s a brief summary of why meditation could be the life changing habit you need to take on.
1. Meditation is the one known use of time which actually refunds your time back to you. Not only can it make you more productive, a study by the International Journal of Neuroscience found that meditation drastically reduces your biological age (how old you seem). The study found that people who started meditating when they’re 30, reduced their biological age to 23 by the time they were 35. Whereas those who did not mediate had a biological age of 36. Thank goodness we’re only as old as we feel!
2. Focussing your attention during meditation helps increase the strength and endurance of the mind. Whilst we’re on the topic of shocking statistics, did you know on average we spend 47% of our time lost in thought?! That’s almost half our life that we aren’t engaged with. Attention span is becoming an increasing issue, due to the constant stream of information both at our finger tips and being bombarded at us in all other directions. With meditation, you can reorient and maintain your attention. This links to discipline and willpower, also allowing you to redirect triggers of unwanted habits or cravings. (See our Mindfulness blog post for more details on this.)
3. Meditation has been found to help reduce anxiety; both symptoms of an anxiety disorder and job-related anxiety in high pressure work environments. Stress reduction is one of the most common reasons people try meditation. Cortisol (the stress hormone) affects sleep, promotes depression and anxiety along with increasing blood pressure. So, we’re all looking to reduce our cortisol levels for a happier and healthier life.
4. Studies have also shown that participants who meditate fall asleep sooner and stay asleep for longer. The blissful idea of quality sleep can be brought on by controlling spiralling thoughts and the release of tension in our body.
5. Self-image can also be improved by meditation as it promotes a positive outlook on life. One area of life that can be universally useful to improve is the enhancement of self-awareness. By developing a stronger understanding of yourself, it gives you the tools to grow into your best self.
Don’t Know Where To Start?
Take 10 minutes out each day to step back and familiarise yourself with the present moment. Your overall aim is to experience a greater sense of focus, calm and clarity in your life. Being present is not easy. Your attention typically gets diverted after around 5 seconds and supressing the wondering thoughts only makes you think about it more. It is a myth that you are only meditating successfully when your mind is still, so do not beat yourself up about your mind naturally wandering. When you get diverted, gently bring your focus back to your breathing. Be patient, allow yourself 10 minutes a day to cultivate your inner peace and happiness, which in turn will ripple out and impact your life.
Remember: What you practice grows stronger.
People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.
— Abraham Lincoln
* SALES INTERNSHIP *
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly enthusiastic, organised & passionate intern to become our Sales Intern Superstar. You will join our small team of energetic, passionate individuals in a collaborative, creative and fast-paced environment in London. This role will report directly into the Head of Sales and will support them in executing the sales strategy.
You will also get to experience the excitement of working in a small, fast-growing business, and actively contribute towards building the brand.
Hello, we’re MiiRO, the fast-growing & multi-award winning start-up company who created the first vegan chocolate-coated ice cream lolly! Our mission is to offer the most delicious dairy-free and healthier ice creams to challenge the idea that vegan food can’t be as yummy as conventional choices. MiiRO was created with passion, innovation and by living life a little on the edge to offer a healthier yet tasty alternative to heavily processed and artificially flavoured ice cream lollies. Simply so we can enjoy more of our favourite foods, in healthier ways. Made with frozen coconut milk, nutritionally bolstered by tasty nuts, sweetened with coconut sugar and Italian grapes, coated in a thick layer of crunchy rich chocolate, each lolly offers a moment of pure indulgence.... for 170 calories!
Our award winning ice cream comes in three luscious flavours: Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Hazelnut. MiiRO can be found on Ocado, but also at Holland & Barrett, Wholefoods, Planet Organic, As Nature Intended, and lots of independent health stores and cafés. Check us out at www.miiro.co.uk or @miiro_ice_cream on Instagram for lots of Ice cream lolly love!
We are looking for a Sales Intern Superstar. You will learn how to:
• Achieve new account listings and increase rate of sale through existing channels
• Build a strong relationship with our retailers and offer them some training and a marketing support
• Participate in marketing campaigns and various events to help build brand awareness
• Be a Brand Ambassador
• You are a hard worker and love taking up new challenges
• You are passionate about the food industry
• You are a natural problem solver; you look for creative ways to turn someone’s “no” into a “yes”
• You are efficient at managing your time and enjoy working independently
• You have a high degree of initiative; you are able to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arrive
• You have a high level of personal and data organisation skills
BENEFITS AND TERMS
• Start date is ASAP, however this is flexible
• Paid 6 month internship
• Expected to represent MiiRO at trade and consumer shows as necessary
• Working in central London
If the Superstar we’re looking for sounds like you, please send us a copy of your CV and a Cover Letter (or a video! Any format that you will would help us get to know you better) to email@example.com with “Sales Internship” as the subject. Successful candidates will be invited to an interview.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The MiiRO team
At MiiRO, we love using our ice cream eating time as a time to wonder 💆♀️. So much so, we based our company name on it (Miro = latin “to wonder!”). When we take the time to both enjoy and focus our attention on our ice cream, we found it even more mood boosting than usual. We’ve done some research and we’re not alone. Mindfulness is a hot topic right now, so we’ve compiled the very best and most effective ways to infuse your day with mindfulness; to enhance your overall wellbeing.
Mindfulness exercises are a way to pay attention to the present moment. As well as yoga and meditation, there are also breathing techniques and tips that will help you become aware of sensations instead of being overwhelmed. So, in short you’ll feel less frazzled by the end of your day- WIN! We could all do with going a little easier on ourselves. So why not try these tips to look after your mind as well as your body?
1. Sparing ONE Minute
This can be done anytime you feel lost, confused or frustrated, so you may have to do this frequently and that is ok. Set a timer on your phone and allow yourself one minute to focus entirely on your breathing. If you feel your mind wander, simply drop that thought and bring your attention back, using your breath as the anchor.
Note: This is an excellent way to reduce your levels of stress or aggravation.
Mantra: “Your breathing is your greatest friend. Return to it in all your troubles and you will find comfort and guidance.” Unknown
2. Eating Mindfully
This requires you to turn off all distractions (yes that includes your smartphone, headphones and computer screen) to allow you to focus on the present and eat with awareness. Do this by paying attention to taste, texture, smell and eating slowly. Slowing down and taking in the moment has been shown to aid a healthier body. So when you next pick up your MiiRO, enjoy the sensation of your tongue warming up the ice cream and be present. We’ve done the portion control for you so you can focus on the good stuff.
Tip: When eating your main meals, wait until you’ve swallowed before you pick up for fork for the next bite. This will insert an air of calm into your mindful moment, by bringing new life and energy into your day.
Mantra: “When you discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
3. Urge Surfing
This is a mindfulness technique used to help with any destructive impulses or cravings. Instead of supressing these feelings which usually feeds the urges, try observing the nature of the urge and notice the physical sensations, such as tension or irritability. Cravings will change, crest and subside like a wave (hence urge surfing), the key is to notice how the experience affects the body with interest and remain present for at least 1 minute. Don’t forget that urges do weaken and subside, knowing this will help you to continue to surf the impulses that you feel, especially in response to your personal triggers (like messaging an ex or other unhealthy cravings.)
Mantra: “Self-discipline is self-caring” – M. Scott Peck
Little changes to your day to day life can take you out of auto-pilot mode and take back your attention. So let’s engage our mindfulness and miss less of the good and sweet things in life!
Ready for a lot of chocolate love? Here we go:
2 frozen bananas (in chunks)
1/2 Chocolate & Hazelnut MiiRO ice cream
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp peanut butter
150-200ml hazelnut milk.
Toppings: banana stars, raw cacao and maca granola, dessicated coconut, cacao nibs, peanut butter, and other 1/2 of MiiRO ice cream (if you wondered were that one had gone!)
1. Place all smoothie ingredients in blender and process until smooth and creamy...
2. Use toppings as you please to create a smoothie that goes with your mood of the day
3. Grab your spoon.... TUCK IN!
Get creative with MiiRO and take the decadence to the next level for your guests.... or just yourself! Here are 3 inspirations to get you started...
Preparation time: 10 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
• 1/4 cup date paste
• 1/2 cup almonds
• 1/4 cup shredded coconut
• 1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional) • 1 tsp raw cacao powder
• 1 tsp coconut butter (optional) • 1 tsp vanilla extract
• Pinch of sea salt
• Shredded coconut
• Raw cocoa powder
• Cacao nibs
• Coating of your choice: dried fruits, chopped nuts, chia seeds ...
Prepare the bliss balls
1. Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender until a compact dough ball forms.
2. Line a plate with baking paper. Using your hands, form balls of dough of different sizes, and
place them on the lined plate.
3. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to allow the balls to harden and keep their shape.
4. Meanwhile, prepare your coatings in flat plates.
5. Remove the balls from fridge and coat them with the coatings of your choice. Place the balls
back on the lined plate and return in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Make: 1 medium bowl
Preparation time: 15 minutes
• 1/4 cup corn kernels • 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1/2 cup coconut oil • 1/2 cup maple syrup • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Prepare the popcorns
1. Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C).
2. Pour the coconut oil into a large, heavy-bottomed pan with a lid. Turn the heat up to medium,
add 2 kernels of corn, and cover. Once the kernels pop, remove the lid and pour in the remaining popcorn kernels. Cover the pot and give the pot a little shimmy to distribute the kernels evenly
3. Once all the kernels have popped, remove the pan from heat and allow the popcorns to cool down while you prepare the caramel.
Prepare the caramel
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut oil and maple syrup. Whisk as all ingredients combine together. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly to prevent to burn.
Prepare the caramel popcorn
2. Place your popcorn in a ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder and roughly shake to spread.
3. Pour the caramel sauce over the popcorns and gently stir to perfectly coat the popcorns.
4. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the tops are just beginning to turn a darker caramel color.
5. Allow the popcorn to cool completely so that the caramel crystallizes, and Enjoy!
Make: 1 small bowl Preparation time: 5 minutes
• Raw cocoa powder : 1/4 cup • Coconut oil : 1/4 cup
• Maple syrup : 1 tbsp
1. Prepare the chocolate sauce: Gently melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Remove from heat and mix in the maple syrup and cocoa powder until perfectly combined.
2. All to cool down a few minutes so that the sauce will thicken.
3. Dip the fruits of your choice in the sauce, place on a lined plate and let cool down for the
chocolate to harden.
Don't forget to tag us in your photos on instagram if you make our recipes or develop your own MiiRO creations! We'd love to see them. @miiro_ice_cream
The sun is starting the shine but the mornings are still cold... warm your heart up with this beautiful breakfast recipe from the lovely @nourishing.amy, who yet again showed that it's possible to eat our favourite foods for breakfast!
Here's the super simple recipe for happiness:
100ml Full fat coconut milk
100ml maple water
Cinnamon + Choc Maca protein blend
Toppings: 1 MiiRO Chocolate & Hazelnut, Almond maca nut butter, Goji ginger, Pecan nuts, Cranberries, Dessicated coconut
1. Warm all the base ingredients together
2.Literally plant MiiRO in your bowl, and express yourself with the toppings to create your own decadence!
Is there a more perfect start to the day?
You wish it was easier to get up in the morning? @nourishing.amy made that dream come true for you with her decadent yet healthier breakfast bowl which involves.... ICE CREAM! Are we talking about having ice cream for breakfast? Oh yes. We definitely are. And YOU will never snooze that alarm in the morning again.
2 frozen bananas
150ml plant based milk
1 tbsp salted caramel protein
1 tsp maca powder
1 tbsp cacao powder
Toppings: 1 MiiRO Salted Caramel, dessicated coconut, granola, frozen berries, your favourite nut butter, cacao nibs
1 Add all base ingredients in to a smoothie shaker & blend until thick and creamy
2. Poor into a bowl & get ready to get creative with your toppings
3. Dunk MiiRO at the end for the most decadent touch to your morning!
Breakfast is now something to *truly* look forward to!
Come and meet us for an irresistible decadent vegan ice cream at the Balance Festival from the 10th to the 12th May!
Just look for the beautiful MiIRO toppings bar and get ready to seriously indulge without guilt ;)
Grab your tickets now HERE!
Come, say hello, and grab a decadent creation of yours at our MiiRO ice cream bar!
We cant wait to see you at the Allergy + Free From show from the 5th to the 7th July 2019
Grab your FREE tickets HERE!
Since January 2019, MiiRO has become an official supporter of Veganuary.
Veganuary is close to our hearts because it encourages a lifestyle where individuals can feel better about themselves and their impact on the planet. MiiRO’s mission is to challenge the idea that vegan food can’t be as yummy as conventional choices. With MiiRO, let’s make the healthiest start to 2019 together!